In this article I will be going to explain how to install Mamoto (piwik) on AWS EC2 instance. Mamoto formerly known as Piwik is a free and opensource web analytics software that runs on top of php/mysql. This software tracks the online visits from customer. You can add any number of sites to mamoto analytics and can see reportings on dashboard. It has a decent UI, modern and elegant look with full api support. Mamoto is released under the GPL v3 or later license, its already been used on more than 100000+ sites. There isn’t any doubt in saying it as an alternative to google analytics.
How to Install Mamoto or Piwik
Please follow step by step tutorial below to install mamoto on an AWS EC2 server. I assume you already have working knowledge on how to connect an AWS EC2 instance through ssh. Incase you don’t know you can refer following page – How to Connect to AWS instance. Before proceeding for installation make sure you have webserver (apache, nginx), php and mysql installed.
Connect to your AWS EC2 instance through putty or ssh cli. Make sure to escalate to root user and run below command
$ wget https://builds.piwik.org/piwik.zip && unzip piwik.zip
Create a virtual host entry pointing to piwik directory to configure mamoto on a domain or subdomain.
CustomLog /var/log/apache2/mydomain.host.access.log combined
Open your domain in web browser that you configured i.e mamoto.mydomain.com. If everything goes well, you will see a welcome screen with further instructions on installation, if any errors or requirements not satisfied then it will give you error. There are 9 steps that you can see on welcome screen. Click next to move to next screen put in information and you can move forward with next screen if no errors are there.
- The Welcome Screen – It shows information about software.
- System Check – It check whether all the requirement dependencies are met for software installation or not.
- Database Setup: It asks for database info where the software will store data.
- Database Check – It verifies whether database credentials are correct or not.
- Creating the tables – In this step database tables will be created.
- General Setup – In this step you will be creating user like super user etc, who will use the system.
- Setup a website – In this step you add website info that needs to be tracked.
- Congratulations – This screen shows congratulation message.
If you have installed the tracking code properly, you may start seeing tracking activity on dashboard once traffic starts coming on site. Please see below images to know how the dashboard looks like-
Please follow and like us: