AWS has broad range of services for almost every usecase which are categorized into multiple categories like storage, networking, computing etc. In this post we will be going to cover what is AWS free tier and what comes as free against each service. The Cost of each of these services are separate which are as per their consumption. To promote AWS, to make people use and try AWS, AWS has come up with a free tier for services. Under this AWS free tier it provides free services up to certain limits.
Let’s try and understand what comes under free tier. Not all services are free tier and not all free for the rest of the life. For some services free tier is limited to 12 month for certain amount of usage. For some services it is always free upto certain amount of Usage.
AWS Free Tier (Introductory 12 Months – Expiring Offers):
- 750 hours of T2.Micro instance usage. If you run an instance 24hrs each day for 30 days, the hours come as around 720. For 31 days it comes around 744. You can run another instance for remaining 30 or 6 hoursand you will not be charged. If you run two instances each for 24hrs per day for 30 days then it comes as 1440 hours, so you need to pay for remaining 720 hours after free tier 750 hours.
- 30 GB of EBS General Purpose Volume is free, either you can use 30 GB in a single instance or 10 GB each is 3 instance. Once you cross 30 GB limit you need to pay for extra volume size.
- 5 GB of AWS S3 standard storage, 20000 get requests, 2000 put requests with AWS S3.
- 10000 text requests per month, 5000 speech requests per month with Amazon Lex.
- 5 million characters per month with Amazon Polly.
- 250000 messages (delivered or published) per month with AWS IOT.
- 1 Million API calls per month with Amazon API Gateway.
- 5 GB of capacity per month with AWS EFS.
- 7500 node hours (10 nodes) per month with AWS Opswork.
AWS Free Tier (Non Expiring Offers):
- Free 25 GB of Storage, 25 Units of Read Capacity and 25 Units of Write Capacity – enough to handle up to 200M requests per month with Dynamodb.
- 5 active users per month, 50 GB storage per month, 10000 git requests per month with AWS Codecommit.
- 1,000,000 free requests per month, 3.2 million seconds of compute time per month with AWS Lambda.
- One time trial of 1000 device minutes with AWS Device Farm.
- 1 active pipeline per month with code deploy.
- 4000 state transitions per month with AWS Step Functions.
- 1 user, 1 GB Space with AWS Quicksight.
- 100000 traces recorded per month and 1000000 traces scanned or retrieved per month with AWS XRay.